Monday

Growing Up


In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
Assalamualaikum

A few weeks back, I went on a solo adventure to revisit the place where I grew up in since birth; Woodlands. I saw a younger version of myself there. The immature, happy go lucky kid who had nothing to worry about; except for maybe school and tuition.

You know...

There is a bittersweet feeling that comes,
when you realise the things and places you once know so well,
are no longer the same now.

I walked through the entire neighbourhood, visited the unit where I used to live in,
window shopped at the wet market my family used to grocery shop at etc,
only to realise that nothing; will ever be the same again.

Families have moved, new buildings were built.
I teared at that thought, and I wonder if I was being too emotional.
But these are not tears of loss or regret. It was just an emotional release, spurred on by this very special place.

Ah, it feels so surreal to think about the past, and the person you used to be....
versus the present, and the person you are now.

I reflected back on how much I have grown, and evolved over the years.
I thought about the significant few people, who entered my life then, and then left without a word.
Do they still remember me? Hah, move on Su.

This I told myself:
Su, you aren't the same person you used to be, and you won't be the same person you are now, when you revisit this place again in a year, two years or five years from now.

Rediscovering a place that was once so familiar,
is definitely one of the best things I had ever done in a long time.

Our hometown, may or may not bring us good memories.
But it will do your soul good to revisit, and see it in a new light.
You'll form new perspectives in life, that will hopefully make you, a better person.

Have you ever 'gone home again'?
For these places, could be a lot more interesting then you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment